Since Labor Day is upon us this weekend, it’s a perfect time to celebrate the last joys of summer and get ready for fall. Every season, we like to look back on what has happened here at The Messy Artist, commemorating all that has gone on and all the wonderful art that has been created!
- AFI art show. Summer kicked off with our Art Foundations Intensives art show, an art extravaganza showcasing our advanced art students. For the entire school year, the Art Foundations Intensives Students study artists, art theory, and work on their techniques. One Saturday in June, we exhibit all their artworks for a gala event.
- Summer Camps and Classes: The main portion of our summer is filled with art camp. We always look forward to being able to spend a whole week on one art form, as we do in our fine art camps. This year our intensive topics were: drawing, clay, painting, cartooning, crafts, papermaking and printmaking, and textile and fibers. We also introduced new themes: mural making and 3D storyboarding camps. We also had mini camp all summer, and caregiver and me classes.
- The Artist Harvest: Our large-scale fruit and vegetable sculpture series will be debuting on September 15th, on display in front of three public buildings in Livingston NJ (Town Hall, the Library and Community Center). Staff and students have worked on getting the sculptures ready for exhibitiion: building, painting, and mounting on bases. We can’t wait to show them off!
- New Location: This summer we expanded our classes to a new location: the JCC MetroWest in West Orange, NJ. We taught 3 classes and had a great time meeting new students. So great in fact, that we’ll be holding classes there again this fall.
- Good bye: The end of summer always means saying goodbye to our college student employees who return to school, and this summer two of our other staff are moving on. It’s hard to say goodbye, but we wish all the best for Anthony, Jay and Adrianna.
- Looking ahead: We’ve got a few weeks of our Drop-In and Play and Mini Camp coming up, and then our Fall 2015 Session starts September 28. We’re preparing our lesson plans and ordering all the art supplies, always an exciting time.